Diane Dirks is an accomplished needlepoint designer of richly painted tapestries and unique canvases. Her focus is on a rewarding needlepoint experience for the stitcher, with an enjoyable challenge in the stitching that leads to a stunning result.
Diane lives and works in Taunton, Massachusetts, marketing her work nationally through CBK Needlepoint Collections, and providing custom design services through local needlepoint shops.
Diane's works often reflect a special appreciation for light and color that springs from her youth on the midwestern prairie. She holds a BA in Fine Arts from Fort Hays State University in Kansas, with additional studies in Nebraska, Illinois and Massachusetts. After moving to Massachusetts Diane worked as a stained glass artisan and then moved to positions with advertising agencies and magazine publishing. Meanwhile, her paintings won awards in several local art shows and she continued a lifelong love of needlework, particularly needlepoint.
Diane began painting projects to stitch herself, and built her own business in creating original painted needlepoint canvases. She began designing and painting private custom canvases and orders for area needlepoint shops. Diane's website went online in 1999 and she obtained wholesale distribution. In 2003 she joined JB Designs, then Rishfeld Designs, and now works with CBK Needlepoint Collections. She continues to release new work for national distribution and maintains a busy custom design practice working with partner shops in Massachusetts and elsewhere.
ART, DESIGN and PUBLISHING:
Needlepoint canvas design:
- Hundreds of designs since 1999.
- Nationally marketed through CBK Needlepoint Collections.
- Regular custom design services for Stitch Boutique (Boston), B.F. Goodstitch (Salem), Christines of Osterville (Cape Cod), and Beehive Needle Arts (Pittsburgh, PA) - and other shops upon request.
- Magazine: New England Beverage Publications, Avon, MA. Editorial Assistant and Art Director.
- Newspaper: Memorial Press Group, Plymouth, MA. Layout and page production.
- Advertising: Communication By Design, Stoughton, MA. Production Assistant.
- Pembroke, MA Arts Festival
- Plymouth, MA Outdoor Art Show
- City Hall Invitational Exhibit, Wayne NE
- Annual Exhibitions, Wayne St. College
- Annual Exhibitions, Ft. Hays St. Univ.
Other Arts Activities
- Membership in local arts guilds.
- Co-Chair, Founding committee, N.E. Nebraska Regional Arts Council.
- B.A. in Fine Art, Fort Hays (Kansas) State University
- Additional coursework in illustration, graphic arts, and advanced painting, drawing, and ceramics at other colleges and universities.
- CBK Needlepoint Collections, Marstons Mills MA, Needlepoint canvas design
- Rishfeld Designs, Cumming GA, Needlepoint canvas design
- JB Designs, Tarzana CA, Needlepoint canvas design
- Henley's Needlepoint and Fibers, Edgartown MA, Needlepoint canvas design
- Needlepoint Of Back Bay, Boston: Needlepoint canvas design
- Chameleon Designs, Newbury St., Boston: Needlepoint canvas design
- Needlepoint, Newbury St., Boston: Needlepoint canvas design, retail
- Pietraszek Art Glass, Fairhaven, MA: Stained glass design, execution and restoration.
- Marie's Art Studio, Wayne, NE: Glass artisan and instructor.
- Illinois Shakespeare Festival: Stage Properties Master, Stage Technician.